Instagram has been all abuzz with the newest alleged IT Bag – Louis Vuitton Pont 9! On Friday a lot of top International social media influencers posted picture of/with their *gifted* Pont 9 on their Instagram accounts with the #LVPont9. This has led to a bad taste in a lot of luxury lovers mouths. Priced at USD $3900, a lot of people (including yours truly) felt that gifting the bag to Influencers really cheapened the bag.
Today’s post includes everything you need to know about the Louis Vuitton Pont 9, my opinion and 6 alternative bag suggestions to buy from, if you don’t care for a bag that’s hyped up on social media.
Louis Vuitton Pont 9
The bag takes its name from the oldest bridge in Paris, Pont Neuf (9 in French) The bag has a very contemporary yet classic silhouette. Made with a padded smooth cowhide leather body and flap closure, what makes this bag a statement is the front logo on the closure and on the strap. The LV in a circle is reinterpretation of the 1930s Louis Vuitton logo by the house’s current Artistic Director of Women’s Collections – Nicolas Ghesquière. Available in 5 vibrant colours, the bag has some exotic skin versions.
“Louis Vuitton launches the LV Pont 9, a new leather bag that exudes both a modern allure and a timeless sensibility.”–Louis Vuitton Magazine
Pont 9 Features:
- Available in 5 colours
- Made from smooth cowhide
- Contrast colour leather lining
- Gold hardware logo
- Adjustable shoulder strap with LV Circle buckle logo and metallic eyelets
- LV Circle signature logo on the flap
- Monogram Flower shaped magnetic closure
- 2 inside compartments
- Inside flat pocket
- Inside zipped pocket
“The LV Pont 9 bag is available in an understated and elegant Noir, a delicate Crème, a deep sunset-like Summer Gold, a feminine and vibrant Rose Dahlia, and a soft and dreamy Bleu Orage.”-Louis Vuitton
I love timeless and classic bags. This one does have all the features to become a classic piece and yet the Instagram hype with free gifts for influencers did cheapen this bag a little in my eyes. A bag in my collection that fills the void of a timeless classic logo flap bag is my Chanel Classic Flap. I do wish to add a second more casual flap bag to my collection. Celine Classic/Box bag tops my wish list in that category.
4 Classic Bags Options To Consider If You Love The Pont 9:
- Hermès Constance: This one has withstood the test of time and remains a classic. Constance is a very similar style, and a classic from Hermès. It’s more expensive compared to the Pont 9 but will holds its value better than any Louis Vuitton bags.
- Celine Classic/Box bag: This one is a very chic style and tops my wish list in similar bag styles. The no logo design makes it very understated which makes it very versatile too.
- Gucci 1955 Horsebit: One of the newer releases from Gucci, this one has a very classic design. The horse bit detail makes it look luxurious yet understated.
- Dior 30 Montaigne: This too is a newer release that quickly favourite of many, and is a very classic bag design. The last one on this list since Dior used the same influencer free gifts promo strategy with this one and the saddle bag reissue, which deterred a lot of people from buying it. Despite of that,
LV Bags Similar to Pont 9:
Two of the Louis Vuitton bag that instantly came to my mind when I saw the Pont 9 were, the Vivienne and the Pochette Métis. Pochette Métis is almost $1500 cheaper than the Pont 9, and a very coveted classic bag. Neo Vivienne is a discontinued style, but it remain a very sought after bag amongst luxury lovers. You might have to keep a tab on eBay and other preloved sellers to get your hands on this one.
What are your thoughts on this newest release? Do you think Louis Vuitton cheapened Pont 9 by giving it to influencers for free? Are you considering buying the Pont 9 or any of the other ones I suggested above? I would love to know in the comments down below or over on my Instagram.